Wednesday 24 October 2012

Teikyo Festival


A giant origami crane!

Every year the Durham Teikyo University of Japan holds a festival in the middle of October. This year's festival was on Saturday the 20th of October, and it was great fun. There are always lots of activities, from practicing ancient Japanese traditions like the tea ceremony, to arts and crafts like origami. Here are some of the photos from the day! :3





So much origami!




This was the tea ceremony. I'm not entirely certain of the ritual, but from watching it I'm pretty sure that the tea has to be filtered several times, then put in a cup, which has to be turned in a certain direction, then given to the person drinking it. Both people bow, and the cup is turned in the same direction as earlier, before being drank from. It took a long time and is very precise.

My Koi Carp :3

This isn't mine, it was on the wall but I thought it was pretty!
And one of my favourite parts of the day:


I got to try on a yukata! They're surprisingly complicated to put on, and it didn't look all the good over my regular clothes. My big stompy doc martens kind of ruined the elegant look, and my dodgy hip in the photo is actually just my phone sticking out of my pocket, I'm not horribly mishapen. xD Either way, it was good to try one on.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend, and this week is going well! :3

No comments:

Post a Comment