Thursday 4 August 2011

Beautiful Bizarrities: Venetian Masks

I have a bit of a mini-obsession (an obsession that will most likely be forgotton about within a few days) with Venetian masks. I've always thought they were pretty, but today after watching Labyrinth and seeing some of the amazing masks they wear in the ball scene, I've been looking at all sorts of crazy designs. I took a few screenshots of the masks in the film too, for those of you who haven't seen it (and you should be ashamed of yourselves, it really is a fantastic film.)







 

I like the unicorn mask at the end.

And my favourite, Jared's mask. That skeleton hand is a great idea.I love how they all look like monsters rather than your typical mask. The people that came up with all the costume and scenery ideas in that film are very talented people, it never ceases to amaze me. I particularly love how everything in the background seems to be covered in glitter.

I was thinking of having a go at making my own mask, either from scratch or maybe buying a plain white one and repainting it. They really are stunning.

I think I'll finish with some bonus screenshots. Happy Thursday!










No comments:

Post a Comment