Saturday 6 August 2011

Well...that went well...

Today was... a little bit hectic.
When we got up there was a huge thunder storm outside, which went on for most of the day. It was so close by, the thunder actually made the walls shake and the electricity go off. So instead of sitting around waiting to be shocked by lighting, we got dressed, and left to start work decorating the wedding reception.
Firstly, my mum went to the hall to lay out the tablecloths and whatnot while my brother and I were assigned to putting M&Ms in favour boxes, closing the boxes, and tying a neat little bow around it. Of course one or two escaped and had to be eaten...>:3
When we'd finished all the favour boxes, we headed over to the hall to help out with the decorating, carrying giant silver letters in a bag, in the pouring rain. My mum and dad had already set out the table cloths and decorated the chairs with ribbons.

I told you A looked kind of like a giant toilet seat!

We had trouble getting the letters to stop floating up to the very high ceiling, and I spent the first half an hour in the hall acting as a balloon weight and holding them all down. E did manage to escape, but thankfully my dad had a huge ladder with him.
After that I helped my mum inflate some small helium balloons to go in little clusters on the tables. I blew them up, and my mum tied the string to the ends and arranged them neatly.
My brother and my dad were working on the exploding balloon. It's a giant balloon filled with smaller balloons, confetti and glitter, and when the bride and groom have their first dance together as a married couple, the best man (usually) pops the balloon with a long pointed stick (at one wedding they actually used a ceremonial sword for this) so the confetti falls down around them.

This is before it was hung on the ceiling. The balloon was about 1m in diameter.

After we'd done those, we all started helping out with the giant arch across the front of the stage. The DJ for the night also came in at this point, but there was a little bit of a dilemma with that as the bride and groom had hired a band and a DJ. If the DJ set his decks up on the stage, the band couldn't be seen, but at the same time, there was nowhere else for him to go.
So he set up anyway, and we started to put the arch up. Just as we got all of the letters in the right places, G decided it was sick of floating, and deflated. We tried reinflating it, but it refused to, so we had to take it down and instead just used the first letters of their names. I actually think it looked better this way, since with the full names, one being 3 letters and the other being 5, the arch would have looked a bit lopsided.
Nevertheless, we got the arch done, and my dad began to hang the exploding balloon above the dancefloor while the rest of us put out the favour boxes and spread confetti on the tables.
After this things started to get a bit stressful. We had an hour to go, and plenty of things to do. Mum and I started putting little fairy lights inside balloons, blowing them up, and then letting them float to the ceiling, except some of the little lights were stubborn and had to be fiddled with first before they'd switch on.
My brother and dad set up fairy lights across the bottom of the stage behind a layer of gold organza fabric. The caterers came in and began setting up big trays of hot food across a table at the back. The bride, groom, and several other guests also started coming in at this point! They were an hour early and still expected us to be done by then.

We hurried and finished off everything as quickly as possible while they waited outside in the bar. It didn't take too long, and soon we had everything finished. We swiftly left through the fire exit door at the back. I only managed to snap a few pictures, and most were while we were still working so you can't see any of the fairylights and whatnot, but here they are.

A fancy box to put wedding cards in, made and decorated by my mum.







Mum dropped me and my brother off home, and I took the dogs for a walk since they'd been sat inside all day. Everything was wet from the thunder storm, and it was still drizzling a bit, but it was nice. I didn't go as far as normal, although I did bring my camera and get a few pictures of nice scenery.

I can't listen to any music or play any games tonight either. My lovely skull candy headphones stopped working last night for no apparent reason, and the old crappy ones I found in the back of the drawer that I was using instead got accidently cut in half by Mum today when she was cutting up ribbon on the table where I left them. My stupid speakers don't work, and I have no headphones to listen to. I'm not playing any Fatal Frame without headphones either, it makes it scarier having headphones in.

Anyway, after such a stressful day I'm gonna sit around in my Winnie the Pooh pyjamas with some chocolate and read a book. Happy Saturday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment